Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Way Cool Ad Strip Art




I was indexing the 1927 Moorhead (MN) Country Press when I came across this series of ad strips for farm equipment. I was impressed by the excellent art by a fellow named Art Lund. What a wonderful style - reminds me a bit of the work of F. G. Cooper. Lund never made a name for himself (at least I have no other record of him), but obviously he was a very talented cartoonist. Wonder what ever happened to him...

Ad strips were once a common sight in newspapers. They fell out of favor starting in about the 1970s. Not sure why; it is a great marketing gimmick since most anybody reading your paper will pause to read a well-drawn comic strip.

As always, click on an image to see it at a readable size.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]